Welcome to Schola Progenium - Hero Forge of the Imperium!
This site serves as a resource for both:
- Any writer of fiction, scenarios, or fluff who wants to check their work against existing GW canon
- Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay, the role-playing game in any of its forms
11 April 2022
Games Workshop released a Necromunda update that includes the iconic Cargo 8 transport. Originally coined in Dan Abnett's 40K works, it's since crossed over to other BL authors. This is our first glance at one, albeit Ash Waste-ified.
14 March 2022
Cubicle 7 has provided a "What's Next" article for W&G. Interesting upcoming projects include:
- Wrath and Glory GM Screen — coming soon with 8 adventures and NPCs for any campaign
- Wrath and Glory Starter Set — with an adventure, guide to the Varonius Flotilla, and lots of extra goodies
- Threat Assessment: Xenos — packed with Xenos goodness, as threats or allies, and how to integrate them into your campaigns
- Aeldari: Inheritance of Embers — playable archetypes for all factions (Asuryani, Corsairs, Harlequins, and Drukhari) of the Aeldari, and everything needed to play an Aeldari campaign
- Vow of Absolution — guidebook for playing Adeptus Astartes characters, as well as information on Marines in the Gilead system
- Pilgrims of the Wastes — PDF adventure based on material from the Church of Steel book
- Tools of the Psyker — PDF with additional psychic powers and psyker archetypes
- Wretches of the Writ — PDF detailing a coven of heretics, ready to drop into your campaign
24 January 2022
Pre-orders are up for Church of Steel, which features the Adeptus Mechanicus, Machine Spirits, and vehicle rules.
16 December 2021
In Cubicle 7's November Update, they have more W&G news:
- Forsaken System rules supplement — is now out in stores
- Litanies of the Lost adventure book — is now out in stores
- Redacted Records rules supplement for players and GMs — PDF is out; in stores Q1 of 2022
- Church of Steel rules supplement — PDF in Q1 of 2022; in stores Q2 of 2022
- Affliction Ascendant military-oriented Tier 4 adveture — is out now
- Wrath and Glory Starter Set — PDF in Q1 of 2022; in stores Q2 of 2022
- Wrath and Glory GM Screen — PDF in Q1 of 2022; in stores Q2 of 2022
- Imperial Cities: Charybdion source book for the Hive World of Charybdion — PDF in Q2 of 2022; in stores Q4 of 2022
- Artefacts of Power source book the Soulbound RPG — PDF available now; though this is not for W&G, it has lots of ideas for mystical artifacts that can cross over with relative ease
22 August 2021
Cubicle 7 has released the PDF version of Redacted Records, along with the pre-order for the eventual physical version.
The book has a mix of new material, and is a bit scattered in focus. There's a little something for everyone. The choice of only including new Talents starting with "A-I" was dubious at best, however.
28 July 2021
For Cublicle 7's July 2021 Production Update, there's more W&G goodness:
- Forsaken System rules supplement — PDF is out; in stores Q3
- Litanies of the Lost adventure book — PDFs are out; in stores Q3
- On the Wings of Valkyries military-oriented Tier 2 adveture — just released in PDF only
- Redacted Records rules supplement for players and GMs — PDF in Q3; in stores Q1 of 2022
- Church of Steel rules supplement — PDF in Q3 or Q4; in stores Q1 of 2022
- Lord of the Spire military-oriented Tier 3 adveture — PDF only release in Q3
- Affliction Ascendant military-oriented Tier 4 adveture — PDF only release in Q3 or Q4
- Wrath and Glory Starter Set — PDF in Q4; in stores Q2 of 2022
- Wrath and Glory GM Screen — PDF in Q4; in stores Q2 of 2022
- Imperial Cities: Charybdion source book for the Hive World of Charybdion — PDF in Q4; in stores Q2 of 2022
- Scions of the Fane campaign book — was not in this month's update
28 May 2021
Cublicle 7 just did their May 2021 Production Video Update, and they have a few extra tidbits on the future of the Wrath and Glory line:
- They are working on a new version of the Wrath and Glory Starter Set
- They have also started work on a GM Screen
- …and perhaps most importantly, they have begun work on a Wrath and Glory Bestiary!
18 May 2021
In Cublicle 7's April 2021 Production Update they've included more information about the Wrath and Glory line:
- Shipment of the Wrath and Glory Corebook
- Forsaken System rules supplement — PDF is out; in stores Q3
- Litanies of the Lost adventure book — PDFs are out; in stores Q3
- The Bloody Gates military-oriented Tier 1 adveture — PDF only in Q2
- Church of Steel rules supplement — PDF in Q3; in stores Q4
- On the Wings of Valkyries military-oriented Tier 1 adveture — PDF only in Q3
- Redacted Records rules supplement for players and GMs — PDF in Q3; in stores Q1 of 2022
- Imperial Cities: Charybdion source book for the Hive World of Charybdion — PDF in Q3; in stores Q1 of 2022
- Scions of the Fane campaign book — PDFs in Q4; in stores Q2 of 2022
29 January 2021
Now that Wrath and Glory Corebooks are finding their way into people's hands, and the Forsaken Systems PDF is out, I've started work on an improved and updated version of the 40K Map.
It's a challenging projects due to often conflicting maps provided by GW. I try to use the most recent unless the preponderance of other sources are unified in their disagreement with it.
20 January 2021
COVID has removed the time that I had perviously been able to spend updating things here, so apologies for the temporary inactivity. That will change when things get back to normal.
Cublicle 7 has published a 2021 Production Update and included in it are:
- Shipment of the Wrath and Glory Corebook
- Forsaken System rules supplement — PDF in the next few weeks; in stores Q2
- Litanies of the Lost adventure book — PDFs in Q1; in stores in Q3
- Church of Steel rules supplement — PDF in Q2; in stores Q3
- Scions of the Fane adventure book — PDFs in Q3; in stores Q4
- Imperial Cities series of books — TBD
06 July 2020
Lots of Wrath and Glory news. First some info from Cublcle 7 on upcoming releases:
- Forsaken System Player's Guide rules supplement, which will include:
- Playable Ogryn, Ratlings, and Kroot
- New Archtypes, Wargear, Abilities, Psychic Powers, etc.
- Lots more information on the Gilead system
- Scions of the Fane adventure book
- Five linked adventures following the Unshackled Fane
- One for each world of Gilead
- Litanies of the Lost (working title) adventure book
- Five linked adventures of "bureaucratic blasphemy"
- Each adventure has additional game mechanics
- Church of Steel rules supplement
- Tech/Mechanicus oriented rules
- Vehicle, flier, mount, pet, and Voidship rules
- Imperial Cities series of books
- 6 books, one for the primary city on each of the Gilead system's planets
- Lots of detail on city areas, with plenty of adventure hooks
- Modular "buildings" to drop into advetures
- Loads of NPCs
- Game Master's Screen — four-panel screen with everything you'd expect
Games Workshop has announced the Interrogator animated series, along with a couple others. This one in particular sounds like a treasure trove of RPG ideas.
29 May 2020
Cubicle 7 has released a short free adventure: Graveyard Shift for the game.
24 April 2020
Cublicle 7 Games has released a PDF version of the revised Wrath and Glory! They are accepting errata submissions for those that find errors so they can be fixed prior to printing the physical book.
06 November 2019
It's been fairly quiet on the Wrath and Glory front for the past few months while Cublicle 7 works on their revised edition of the game. Hopefully they'll have something ready for the holidays!
19 July 2019
Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Cublicle 7 Games has bought the Wrath and Glory line, as well as most of the development team, from Ulisses. The game will be reprinted with some minor revisions, but those who bought the Ulisses version will still be able to use it with new material.
21 March 2019
Ulisses has a great new Wrath and Glory webpage. Check it out.
18 February 2019
My copy of Titandeath has finally arrived. Expect the fluff to start filtering into the Library over the coming weeks.
22 January 2019
The new AT18 book Titandeath comes out on the 26th, and I anticipate getting its fluff into the Library fairly quickly after I get my copy.
The new Adeptus Titanicus is one of the better games I've seen out of GW recently. It is an expensive game to get into, but well worth it.
18 October 2018
Most of the fluff from the new edition of Adeptus Titanicus is now in the Library. It's a great game, too. Well worth checking out, even if it is a bit pricey.
21 August 2018
All sorts of events in the past few months
Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Wrath & Glory has been released at GenCon, and there's a host of supporting material that will be released over the next few months.
One of my all-time favorite early Games Workshop games, Adeptus Titanicus is back! I've created the Legio Titanicus website to support the new edition!
and the fluff from the new Titanicus is slowly filtering into the Library.
14 September 2017
The good folks at The Grimdark Podcast interviewed Ross Watson, adding a little bit to what we know:
- The game will use the metric system and "Queen's English."
- It will follow GW's Rulebook and Codex model, though Codex = Campaign books
- Campaigns will include:
- Background book
- Linked adventures book
- Character options book
- GW gives the Ulisses team access to their notes and background material, but also gives them some freedom to explore
- Characters from one campaign can easily be used in other campaigns; the rules won't change
21 August 2017
Ulisses held their seminar at GenCon over the weekend, and have posted the video here
The interesting points are:
- The goal is the create a "broad and inclusive" core rulebook that provides a future framework for everything they develop.
- They will create campaign books, likely 3 books for each "campaign," Adventure, Setting, and Player Options
- Campaigns they'd like to do include: Imperium Nihilus, Doom of the Eldar, Orks, Space Marines, Deathwatch, etc.
- The basic mechanic will be d6 dice pools, a unique system that will borrow from TORG (specifically) and others
- Combat will be brutal, and critical hits will be particularly nasty
- The system will scale and balance for play styles from gritty to epic and everything in between
- Psychic powers will be part of the system and follow a high risk, high reward concept
- Vehicles and starships will be included in the "broad and inclusive" basic framework
- Campaigns and adventures will have epic concepts - visiting the Black Library, fighting in the pits of Commorragh, dealing with Primarchs and/or daemon princes, etc.
- There will be a biginner box, GM screen, and all the basics one would assume
- One of the first products after the core book will be an Adventure Anthology
- The setting will use 8th Edition background and all that entails
16 August 2017
Big News! Ulisses Spiele has obtained the 40K Roleplay license, and they have seleceted a d6, dice-pool mechanic just like I have. You can see the announcement Here.
Ross Watson is heading the effort. He has been involved in 40K Roleplay since the Black Industries days, so the line could not be in better hands.
Also, with the advent of 40K 8E, I've decided to rework my 40K Map from the Library. There's been enough revision and retcon over the years that I want to start with a clean slate. I't a big task, so don't expect the new one overnight.
27 June 2017
I now have my hands on 40K 8E and all of its fluffy goodness! Now the daunting task of getting that into the Library
Also, I've stood up my 40K RPG page for the SW:A based ruleset I'm developing. I should have a 1st draft of the rules up by the end of July.
18 April 2017
With the release of Shadow War: Armageddon, which is essentially a reprint of the old Necromunda game, I've decided to design a simple, cinematic, RPG loosely based on its rules
The basic mechanic is to roll a pool of d6s equal to the relevent statistic. With skill 0, rolling a 6 equals success. Each skill level decreases the number needed for success by 1. Thus, a stat 3 skill 3 roll would be three dice that succeed on a 3+.
Simple tasks require only one success, and complex tasks require more.
I'll share more here when it's cohesive enough to play. Watch this space.
22 March 2017
Since Fantasy Flight Games lost the Games Workshop RPG licenses a few months back, I've been very curious about where they might turn up.
The Grimdark Podcast has reported credible information that points to Cubicle 7 Entertainment. On top of that, they have T.S. Luikart on their design team, and he was involved in the very first days of 40K RPGs with Black Industries. Very interesting.
09 March 2017
28 February 2017
Welcome back! I've had a long hiatus, but the recent movement of the 40K timeline and the upcoming release of Adeptus Titanicus has re-energized me.
For the past few years, I've really felt that Games Workshop had lost its way, and was really dispirited about what they were doing with the background.
In addition to that, the 40K RPG was on uncertain ground — and really still is — and that didn't help either. Let's see where things go from here…
20 January 2014
Picked up the new Codex: Tyranids, and will be starting to integrate it's fluff into the Library, but still have a backlog from the Codex: Space Marines, so it might take a while.
On top of all that, Black Library is pumping out digital fluff at an amazing rate in the form of "Dataslates" and the like. It's a great time to be a "fluff-ologist" but hard to keep up!
01 December 2013
Added Chapter 2 of The Pernicus Chronicles to the Fiction section.
11 November 2013
Time has been in short supply, but this page is not forgotten. Some updates to the Library with material from the new Space Marines Codex and Fiction sections, including the first chapter of The Pernicus Chronicles. The new Codex has lots of new material for the map, and that will show up in the next update.
14 April 2013
Updates should start flowing slowly again. Watch this space.
04 February 2013
Setting up the Fiction section for the first chapter of my own 40K story.
06 January 2013
Some of you may have noticed that things got awfully quiet here after spring of last year. Well spotted.
Rowan Thomas Schoonmaker was born on July 4th, and he's been monopolizing my time recently (to put it mildly).
I'll be continuing updates after a while, but I take fatherhood very seriously, and that's my current focus! Thanks for your patience.
18 February 2012
It's been some time since any official updates, though there have been a couple "stealth" updates to the Library in the last few months.
Warhammer 40,000 6th Edition is widely rumored to be on the way this summer, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what more they'll be putting in the fluff!
30 October 2011
12 June 2011
The Library now has a bunch of fluffy goodness from Codex: Grey Knights!
05 June 2011
It's been a while without updates, but I'm headed off on a business trip soon, and that means time to read and time to update files, so stay tuned!
08 January 2011
More business travel has enabled me to get much more of the Badab War material into the Library. I can't wait for the second volume to arrive!
01 November 2010
Some extended business travel has allowed me to get a good chunk of the Badab War fluff into the Library.
18 October 2010
Truth be told, the last few 40K books that I've read have not been terribly impressive in their "fluff-ology," so their contents have not been going into the Library. I've also been reading a number of non-40K books, which has slowed the pace of updates here.
However, the delivery of Forgeworld's lavishly illustrated Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War Part 1 and Gav Thorpe's Path of the Warrior novel has reengergized me, so you can expect to see that content filtering into the Library over the coming weeks.
02 August 2010
Just when I thought I'd gotten the news down for a while, FFG released their schedule for the Deathwatch line, now in the News.
19 July 2010
FFG has released their 2010-2011 production schedule for both the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader lines. Check out all the upcoming goodness in the News section.
05 July 2010
I've added the fluff from novel Helsreach Hive by Aaron Dembski-Bowden into the Library. It's a good read; he's a welcome addition to the Black Library author stable.
01 June 2010
There's been a few items of News over the past few weeks that I've gathered together, including the first playable Xeno Race for 40KRP!
In other news, fluff from the new Helreach novel will be slowly making its way into the Library over the coming weeks.
02 May 2010
FFG has continued to reveal interesting Deathwatch information, including the name of their new Space Marine chapter. Check out the News. In the meantime work continues on the improved 40K Map.
26 April 2010
At long last, I've transferred the raw files of the 40K Map over to my new computer, and have expanded it a bit to handle the material that GW continues to place in the galactic east. It still needs a little work, but the key elements are now there. Check it out in the Library.
02 April 2010
I've posted some updates to the Library from Codex: Tyranids, and FFG has been steadily providing small peaks from their upcoming Deathwatch game.
28 February 2010
Big News … Deathwatch!
21 February 2010
There's been quite a bit of news concerning the upcoming Ascension supplement for Dark Heresy, both at FFG's News and a variety of podcasts, including The d6 Generation. Check it out on the News page.
Last weekend I ran the third adventure of my Emperor's Heart campaign, as well as a Rogue Trader demo at DunDraCon. They were both well attended and everyone had fun, so I felt pretty good about them.
25 January 2010
It's been a little while since the last update, mostly due to a lengthy sidetrack into the excellent new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.
Never fear, the brand new edition of the Codex: Tyranids that hit the shelves a week or so ago has inspired me to get back to work on the Library.
There is also a bit of information that FFG released concerning the upcoming Ascension supplement on the News page.
29 November 2009
The Radical's Handbook is appearing in stores now, and FFG has released some very interesting news about the upcoming Ascension book. Check it out on the News Page.
09 November 2009
A large number of airline miles has allowed me to finish getting the fluff from the first Ciaphas Cain Omnibus into the Library.
18 October 2009
Not much to report this update. In fact, starting to make the Scorpulus Hive map into glorious 3D has been the first chance I've had to "goof off" recently.
Though not directly related to 40KRP, FFG is coming out with a new edition of WFRP that uses some novel new mechanics. Check it out Here
08 November 2009
More Ciaphas Cain entries in the Library, and both the standard and Collector's Editions of Rogue Trader have now been released.
However, it's been relatively quiet in terms of news for Dark Heresy, but given FFG's big upcoming WFRP3 release, it's understandable that their attention may be elsewhere for a bit.
07 September 2009
16 August 2009
03 August 2009
The Collector's Edition of Rogue Trader went on sale on Thursday and Pre-Orders were sold out within 48 hours, despite a fairly weighty price tag. See more on its future availability on the News page.
Most of the fluff from Planetstrike is now in the Library
21 July 2009
There's some great News about Rogue Trader, and I've added the fluff from the very-funny Deff Skwadron graphic novel. If you're an Ork fan and haven't read it, you're doing yourself a disservice!
07 July 2009
Picked up Planetstrike and have started integrating its fluff into the Library.
22 June 2009
I've given the Links page a much needed overhaul, and made a few other minor adjustments. I'm looking forward to picking up Planetstrike and getting its fluffy goodness into the Library over the next few weeks.
8 June 2009
It's been a little while since the last update, but there are a couple of good items on the News page, and Tattered Fates is out. I've been taking a slight breather from 40KRP after some pretty intense gaming, but I'm feeling the itch again, so the updates should start flowing in short order.
I've added the fluff from the excellent Bloodquest graphic novels to the Library.
19 April 2009
22 March 2009
I picked up the Exterminatus graphic novel by Dan Abnett and Ian Edginton, and am in the process of getting its generally excellent fluff into the Library.
08 March 2009
I've added the fluff for the outstanding Daemonifuge graphic novel by Kev Walker and Jim Campbell. If you haven't read this treat, you really should.
If I have a touch of extra time this week, I'll try to add material from the Inquisitor Ascendent graphic novel by Dan Abnett.
12 February 2009
At long last there's some excellent News to report, as FFG has outlined their product schedule for the rest of 2009 for the Dark Heresy line — and it looks good!
12 January 2009
Another minor update to the 40K Map, including data on Warp Storms.
As I'm sure you're all well aware, the various canon maps available in rulebooks and codices are - well - all over the map. I've made every effort to average out locations that have varied over time. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever see an official version that matches previous ones. Sigh.
05 January 2009
Happy New Year!
Just a few minor updates, mostly Space Marine material for the Library and 40K Map.
This ought to be a fantastic year for Warhammer 40K Roleplay, especially with Rogue Trader on the horizon. I'm looking forward to more announcements of good stuff from FFG.
22 December 2008
15 December 2008
Disciples of the Dark Gods is finally hitting the shelves, just in time for the holidays!
I managed to get a decent chunk of Codex:Orks into the Library, and a thought occurred to me while looking at the beautiful map on page 19. With the removal of the excellent maps at Dark Millennia, is there a need to add one to the files here?
There's also the map at Red Dwarf to consider, but I like to think that my version might be a bridge between the two. Email me if you have strong feelings one way or the other.
01 December 2008
Other projects have kept me from doing any meaningful updates recently, but thankfully I see some light on the horizon. On the other hand there's been precious little fresh news over the course of the last month. Hopefully we'll get a gift from FFG for Christmas! (Aside from Disciples of the Dark Gods.)
In the meantime, I've started adding a little bit of the fluff from the latest Ork Codex.
02 November 2008
26 October 2008
I suppose that since I wrote this, it's fairly apparent that I'm a playtester for Dark Heresy, and to be frank it's taking up large chunks of my time right now. Time that would otherwise be used to update material here.
However, Ive also been reading a number of Black Library novels, some of which are less-than-stellar, such as M. Counter's Battle for the Abyss, but some of which show great promise, such as M. Abnett's Titanicus, which I've just started. I'll be adding more fluffy goodness to the Library soon!
28 September 2008
It's been a slow month for Dark Heresy news since all the excitement at GenCon, and I've had writing tasks that have kept me away from updates to the Library, but never fear, this is a temporary situation, and we're getting very close to the release of Disciples of the Dark Gods to keep everyone occupied.
02 September 2008
I've gotten the fluff of the first Gaunt's Ghosts book into the Library, and am well into the second. I've taken a break from working on my Emperor's Heart series of adventures to work on a new miniature - I'm challenging myself to make a female Tech Priest, and will post some results as soon as I have something worthwhile to show!
24 August 2008
On the way to and from the con, I started re-reading the Gaunt's Ghosts books from The Founding collection and found there were many incomplete or missing Fluff entries in the Library, so I'm starting to correct that. That's a daunting task considering that there are now close to a dozen books!
I'll also be doing some rewriting on my GenCon scenarios to reflect the ideas that came up during play.
17 August 2008
I'm back from GenCon, and though sleep deprived you definitely want to check out the News I brought back!
As for the convention itself, I ran over 24 hours of Dark Heresy at the show, including two demos and two eight-hour adventures. I had a blast, and from the feedback I received, I'm pretty sure my players did too!
27 July 2008
FFG has let slip the title of the next book of the Dark Heresy line. Check it out in the News section!
In getting the 5th Edition fluff into the Library, I've noticed that the names and text on the map on pages 116-117 were transposed about 1 centimeter to the right, making its accuracy somewhat dubious unless you recognize that little "slip."
22 July 2008
Work on my two Dark Heresy scenarios for GenCon Indy has dominated my time recently, but not so busy that I haven't been able to add quotes and flavor text to the Vessor rules.
I picked up Warhammer 40K 5th Edition, and it is chalk full of new fluff! I'm going to begin adding it to the Library today.
29 June 2008
A new addition to the FFG team and more interesting tidbits on the News page.
01 June 2008
FFG's shipment of The Inquisitor's Handbook and Purge the Unclean has finally made it to the US and is in stores now.
My updates to the Library have had to take second seat to other writing tasks for the last few weeks, namely scenarios for the recent KublaCon and the upcoming GenCon Indy. Not to worry, however, you'll see them eventually.
I recently obtained a copy of The Lightning Tower, a limited run Abnett short story set in the Horus Heresy era, and will be adding its fluff shortly.
18 May 2008
11 May 2008
A relatively minor update, simply adding stats for the Stormhawk Gun Cutter. The weapons statistics will follow shortly.
24 April 2008
Take a look at my new Vessorine Janissary rules and the new Martial Artist talent on the 40KRP page.
06 April 2008
FFG has opened the official Dark Heresy page, including within it much of the content of the old BI page.